The price of a purebred puppy depends on if you are buying a show or working quality puppy, or a companion only puppy. Puppies sold on a spay/neuter contract usually average around $800.00 in price. Puppies sold for working or competing can be as high priced as $1500.00.
Have you ever seen two people in a room, one a definite Cat Person, the other a Dog Person, and then hear them compare the prices of their chosen species? The conversation went something like this:
You paid $900.00 ... for a DOG?! You must be kidding me! It's only a dog! That's how much my Persian, Fluffy, cost!
And the rebuttal: For a CAT?!? You paid how much for that cat? It's just a cat! Nothing like a dog at all!
Well, well. Quality, in every species, comes with a hefty price.
What You Should be Getting for That Price
- At least a three-generation pedigree (preferably more)
- Titled Champions (sporting, working, or Conformation titles) in the pedigree, within the first two generations listed (directly descended from).
- Hips and elbows have been certified Good or Excellent by OFA on both parents
- Eyes have been CERFed free of genetic abnormalities.
- A guarantee that your dog is free from inheritable diseases and conditions, with replacement (not exchange) or refund terms, should something happen.
- A promise of a place to bring your dog back if you can not keep him or her any longer (more than a promise, usually a requirement).
- Any help you need to help you become a better dog owner. Every breed has its idiosyncrasies, and everybody needs help sometimes.
- Care and grooming information.
- Sample of the currently fed food, generally enough for the first few days, or more.
- A good, even temperament, usually well-matched to the family/home he is being placed into.
- A healthy, well-socialized dog who will adjust easily.
- A mentor if you are planning to show, work, or breed your new dog.
The price of a purebred puppy should include all of these things. If it does not, you should be looking elsewhere. If you really want a healthy, happy, purebred dog, the price is worth it.